(to submit a communique, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line COMMUNIQUE)
CALL FOR ART
“High gods entertainment is making a call for art submission blitz for the next 48 hours against the corporation shell ur images will be used to battle shell in many different ways both online and in person we stop taking submission at 1pm on 6/13 send to email@example.com”
LLAMADA POR ARTE
High gods entertainment está haciendo una llamada por un torrente de arte por las 48 horas siguientes en contra de la empresa Shell. Sus imagenes se usarán para luchar frente a Shell en muchas maneras distintas, por internet y en persona. Cerramos las contibuciones a la 1pm el 13 de junio. Contibuciones a firstname.lastname@example.org
Call to Action: June Against Doom
Calling all land defenders, de-colonial warriors, migrants, pigmented people, poor folks, prisoners, workers, queers, parents, children, animal lovers, hikers, environmentalists, teachers, students, activists, revolutionaries and anyone who resides on planet Earth, your help is needed in Seattle, occupied Duwamish, Suquamish Territory, to join the ongoing fight to defend the land and life from shell‘s poisonous plan to destroy the Earth.
What is Happening and Why it is Important to You:
Royal Dutch Shell wants to drill in the Arctic, but if we allow that to happen:
– According to the U.S. government; there is a 75% chance of a major oil spill.
– Indigenous peoples on the Beaufort & Chukchi seas who rely on the ocean to live and sustain their way of life, so when a spill happens they would not be able to sustain their life and culture. This is a continuation of genocide of Indigenous Peoples.
– According to the Coast Guard Commandant there is no way to clean up an oil-spill in the Arctic.
– Pipes carrying oil will be installed in the seafloor. When winter comes, the ice digs into the sea floor where the pipes are. Their system is built to fail and we must stop it!
– Once the oil from the Arctic is burned it will ensure a 2 degree Celsius change, which will mean:
* Super Droughts – Bread Basket in the Midwest will be unable to produce food.
1) The cost of food will go up, disproportionately impacting poor people and people of color.
2) We could end up having to import food, making us even more vulnerable to cost surges.
3) Lack of food will lead to the consumption of more processed food in urban areas by low-income households, diminishing nutrition. As a result:
a) Our children may lack the nutrients necessary to be as efficient in school as other groups of children who can still afford nutritious food.
b) Increase in infant mortality rates because a mother’s nutrition is vitally important during pregnancy.
c) Increase in preventable adult fatalities, consuming more processed foods will lead to increased rates of diabetes and heart disease.
*Increased Volume of Disease and Illness:
1) This will affect low income communities that will be more densely populated and thus at higher risk
*Mass Extinctions- Desertification, famines, destruction of habitat for humans and other species, as well as up to a 40 degree temperature change in some regions.
*Extreme Sea Level Rise Up to 32 Ft.
1) This would displace low-income households locally
2) This would also drown major coastal cities; e.g., in places such as Florida, the Puget Sound & ALL OF THE PHILLIPINES!!!
*Contaminating Fresh Water Supplies
Feedback loops are systems that reinforce each other, that will perpetuate climate change into an unstoppable force. This is why climate change is of urgent concern because after 2 degrees, we may be unable to stop climate change, so we must stop it now!
WE CAN STOP THIS! WE MUST STOP THIS!
January this year 3 companies withdrew their drilling leases in Greenland’s Arctic waters.
Indigenous peoples in Alaska and around the world are continuing the more than 520 year fight against colonialism, against destruction and to protect the land and our children’s future. Join the Fight!
June 2015, June Against Doom is a call for a month of actions against shell. Shell only has until June 30th to head up to the Arctic and we will, and want you to join us in doing everything we can to try and prevent them from making it up to the Arctic.
We know that Indigenous People, People in the Global South, Migrants and Communities of Color are the first and most impacted by the effects of Climate Change and contamination of our habitats, that Environmental Racism is one of many ways violence is perpetuated against our communities; that this fight is a fight to respect life and it intersects with all other fights to protect our right to life such as Idle No More, Black Lives Matter Movement, Migrant Movements, Anti-prison and deportation, Decolonial, Queer, Disability Justice, Women’s Rights, Anti-rape, Anti-imperial and Anti-capitalist struggle.
How to take action:
*Support Indigenous Actions and Events: Stay Tuned
*COME TO SEATTLE RIGHT NOW for a convergence against Shell starting this week. Bring a sleeping bag and tent or contact us for housing email@example.com
*Join the storytelling and action camp
*Join the phone campaign
*Take action in your area!
* Join the Land blockade starting Friday June 5th, Saturday June 6th and Monday June 8th!!!
No Matter The Outcome of This Week and Month, The Struggle Will Continue!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the reply function below (requires a noblogs.org account) to share communiques. Also please get in touch if you can help with translating to any other language(s).